Spicy Lemon Garlic Shrimp with Peppers
A delicious spicy lemon garlic shrimp with peppers that is light, quick & easy
The American Heart Association recommends you consume fish at least twice per week for its heart benefits, mostly from healthy Omega 3 fatty acids. A few of the most commonly eaten fish or shellfish (also low in mercury) are shrimp, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
One of my favorites is shrimp. I love any shellfish. Many recipes though are deep fried or covered in creamy high-fat sauces, turning healthy food into more of a health nightmare. I enjoy keeping things as simple as possible and let the natural flavors come through.
This recipe does just that! There’s a delicious, lemony garlic flavor with a touch of spiciness. If you love it hot and spicy, you can use a spicier variety of pepper. I used a milder poblano pepper this time but added some red pepper flakes.
This recipe calls for about a pound of shrimp (shelled and deveined). It is very quick and easy to make. I used a lower calorie & healthier butter such as Land-O-Lakes olive oil butter with sea salt.
- Start by prepping your ingredients. Mince three cloves of garlic. Cut your pepper into 1-2 inch thin strips. Wash a handful of parsley thoroughly. Then roughly chop the parsley leaves until you have about 1/4 cup. Place these ingredients aside.
- Heat a skillet with 1 Tbsp of lower calorie Olive Oil butter. Add the minced garlic.
Saute for a minute reducing burner to medium. You don’t want it to over brown and burn causing a very bitter flavor. Add the pepper strips and continue cooking for a couple minutes more.
- You can now add the shrimp and the 1/2 tsp salt. Finish cooking on medium heat for approximately 3-5 mins, stirring occasionally. Shrimp cooks very quickly so keep an eye on it. You don’t want to overcook, as it becomes very rubbery in texture. Remove from heat and toss in the fresh chopped parsley. Serve.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do too. Let me know what you think in the comment section below!
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled & deveined
- 1 large poblano pepper or other variety of spicier pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- juice from one lemon
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp olive oil butter
- 1/4 chopped fresh parsley
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mince 3 cloves of garlic.
- Cut the pepper into 1-2 inch thin strips.
- Roughly chop washed parsley leaves and put aside.
- Heat a skillet and melt 1 Tbsp of lower calorie Olive Oil butter.
- Saute the minced garlic for a minute, then add the pepper strips reducing heat to medium.
- Continue cooking for a couple of minutes.
- Add the shrimp. lemon juice, lemon zest and 1/2 tsp salt. Continue cooking on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Shrimp cooks very quickly so keep an eye on it. You don’t want to overcook, as it becomes very rubbery in texture. Remove from heat and toss in the fresh chopped parsley. Serve.