Brussels Sprouts & Apple Salad
A Bright Fall/Winter Salad
Apples are in season! Brussels sprouts are in season! So why not try this fresh salad combination.
How to prepare:
Cut your favorite apple into very thin slices and set aside. Then cut the stems off your brussels sprouts, so the leaves loosen up. Break the leaves apart. Wash the brussels sprout leaves and pat dry with a paper towel. I’ve also found pre-washed and bagged brussels sprouts leaves in the grocery store. It saves time but of course, it does cost more sold this way.
Combine the apples and brussels sprouts in a bowl. You can make a quick vinaigrette for this salad or use a low-calorie store-bought favorite. I like to keep it simple and just use a little olive oil (1/2 to 1 Tbsp) with some seasoned rice vinegar (1 – 2 tsp) and salt. The ratio I usually use is 2 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. Instead of rice vinegar, you can also try using apple cider vinegar for this salad combo.
Toss your vinaigrette in and sprinkle some dried cranberries and roasted pumpkin seeds on top. If you like, you can add some crumbled blue cheese or goat cheese (~1 Tbsp) but do keep in mind that cheese is higher in fat/calories, and you should use sparingly. Very little goes a long way to add flavor.
Add lean protein
You can make a meal of it by adding a lean protein like diced grilled chicken. It makes a tasty and filling entree. It’s a well-balanced meal providing protein and fiber. A flavorful, healthy Fall salad 🙂 Yum!
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 1 apple (your choice)
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 Tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- salt (to taste)
- 1 Tbsp blue cheese or goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 2 cups grilled chicken breast, diced (optional)
- Cut your favorite apple into very thin slices and set aside.
- Cut the stems off your brussels sprouts, so the leaves loosen up. Break the leaves apart.
- Wash the brussels sprout leaves and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Combine the apples and brussels sprouts in a bowl.
- Whisk olive oil, vinegar and a dash of salt together.
- Toss the apples, brussels sprouts and pre-cooked grilled and diced chicken (optional) in the vinaigrette. Add salt to taste.
- Sprinkle the dried cranberries and roasted pumpkin seeds on top.
- Top the salad with the crumbled blue cheese or goat cheese (optional).